Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Catcher in the Rye

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
1951
★★★★★
So I can't believe I actually read this book.  It only took me 100 years!  I was supposed to read this book for 8th grade English class but never did.  I got by with the help of Cliff's Notes.  That was the year I became friends with Scott Weaver.  Scott is a great guy.  We had a lot of fun that year.  I figured out that I didn't have to do my homework but could play video games or sports instead.  Of course, I got into problems because of that.  Not big problems but I got caught cheating off of Scott.  That was the beginning of a great friendship.  I ended up getting a B in the class but my education foundation was shaken.  I had figured I had goofed off too much during the year and would not be ready for honors English or Geometry in High School so I retook Algebra and enrolled in regular English.  Turns out I would have been better off enrolling in the more advanced classes but it may have changed my college course where I ended up meeting my wife.  If I hadn't gone to the University of Redlands, I may never have met her and never had our two kids and then where would I be?  Who'd know?!
Anyways, a fantastic book that every teenager should read.  I wish I had read it way back then as it would have had more meaning.

No comments: