Monday, October 31, 2011

Vortograph

Vortograph by olmjohns
Vortograph, a photo by olmjohns on Flickr.
So I haven't done a shooting challenge for a while (no challenge the week of Steve Jobs' death, I was too overwhelmed for the 100th shooting challenge, and last week's "leading lines" intrigued me but I couldn't find the time to make a photo).  This week I knew I wanted to do the challenge and I feel I really nailed it.  I love my photo and feel it fits well with the idea of vorticism.  I think it looks like cubist photography.

The Challenge:
Use prisms and mirrors to capture a vortograph.
gizmodo.com/5853520/shooting-challenge-vortographs

My Comment:
I decided right away I was going to do this challenge. It seemed really interesting but I had no prism or mirrored kaleidoscope to use to take the photos with. After scouring the internet for a "vortoscope" to see what form of lens attachment had been used to make these photos, I stumbled across a "how to make your own kaleidoscope." I cut up an old CD into three rectangular pieces and used some paperclips to hold them together into a triangular tube. With the "vortoscope" contraption complete, no onto the photography.
I ended up just holding the vortoscope up to my lens when shooting. After many photos of flowers and leaves, my wife suggested that I try something more abstract. I'm actually proud of my submission this week. It is a shot of my backyard pergola looking into the sky. The vortoscope creates an amazing abstract and angular image. I hope you like it.

No comments: