Wednesday, January 27, 2010

iPad Ranting

So I had high hopes for the new Apple tablet but I am totally underwhelmed by it.  I have been waiting on purchasing a new computer because of the potential of the mysterious Apple tablet computer.  I was hoping it would be more like a computer (run OSX) and less like an iPhone (since I have an iPhone).  Turns out, it is just a novelty-sized iPod touch!  Don't get me wrong; I would love to have one and play with it.  I love Apple products and hate using my PC at work, but I don't think it is practical for me and really for anybody.
There are a few pluses:
  • Price - it isn't too expensive for an Apple product (even the contract-less AT&T 3G is relatively cheap, especially since you can cancel without fees).
  • iBooks - This looks really cool and should give all the other eReaders a run for their money.  But I have my own problems with this idea.
  • ummm... I guess that's it....
The minuses:
  • That bezel!  WTF!  It look like a picture frame.  Did it really need to be 2 inches big?  That really detracts from the awesome styling of Apple.  Also, no widescreen.  Everything is filmed and made in widescreen now.  The iPad still thinks it is basic television.  Nothing like 4 inches of black bars on your 10 inch screen to watch a movie.  Blech.
  •  No software.  Only apps.  I thought the whole point of apps was to be a simplified version of a webpage that would run better on a smaller screen.  Why would I want to use a Facebook app on the iPad when I could just go to the website and have everything there?  At least there will be a simplified iWork for it, but certainly no chance of running Microsoft Office.  I would have thought there would have been iLife (iPhoto, iMovie, iTunes, etc.).  I don't see how you can even upload photos and movies from your camera and email or post to the internet.
  • iBooks - The idea of an eReader to me is ludicrous.  Why purchase a book if you can get it for free from a library?  If you really want to own the book, why not purchase the real thing?  An eBook still costs about the same as a real book.  This whole concept is beyond me and until these eReaders adopt rental or borrowing services, I don't see how they can beat out paper.  If I had a Kindle or iPad and I could go to the library (or library website) and check out a book out for free on it, then I might change some of my feelings on this subject.
  • No multitasking - You still cannot write and email and have AIM chat open at the same time.  Not being able to run multiple apps at once (at lack of flash support) really stinks.  I can get past it on the iPhone because, well, its a phone.
  • No cameras or iChat.  No video chat.  Jeez, I thought this was going to be a revolutionary device.  It actually steps backwards in that it can't connect with other people with video.
Well, that's it for now.  I'm sure I will find more faults but hopefully I will find some good attributes to this useless device.  I guess I need to start researching which MacBook I want to get...

No comments: