Sunday, May 22, 2011

Bumble bee

Bumble bee by olmjohns
Bumble bee, a photo by olmjohns on Flickr.
So I have continued the shooting challenge.  I have actually started to do a few others at different websites too.
The Challenge:
Freeze motion with a shutter speed of 1/1000. No faster or slower. And no using a 1/1000 flash and a longer exposure. That's a great technique, but we're trying to have everyone approach this challenge from the same perspective.
http://gizmodo.com/5803159/shooting-challenge-11000-of-a-second
My Comment:
So I started early on this shooting challenge and decided I would shoot water. My first shots were of a bathtub running which were too dark. I upped the ISO and they were still no good. I added the flash and they looked great! Then I realized the camera forced the shutter speed down to 1/200 so those shots were out.
I tried water from the faucet and popping a water balloon which turned out fine but it was when I just playing around in my sister-in-law's backyard in Orange, CA that a bumble bee caught my eye.
Since I don't have a very good lens, I just tried to get as close as possible. The fast shutter enabled me to get the bee in flight instead of sitting on a flower. I wish I could have got a few more of the bee before he flew away.

No comments: