Monday, January 9, 2012

Macro leaf

Macro leaf by olmjohns
Macro leaf, a photo by olmjohns on Flickr.
So I have really enjoyed macro photography so this challenge was interesting for me.  I really wanted to recreate the example photo from the tutorial video but I figured that wouldn't show too much imagination.  I am pleased with my shot but wished I could have got some more "pop" that was in some of my other photos.

The Challenge:
Duplicate the tutorial's methodology to create a glowing, studio-quality macro shot with little more than the sun.
http://gizmodo.com/5873034/shooting-challenge-creative-sunshine-macros

My Comment:
Looking forward to a new macro challenge, I took a lot of photos of random items but nothing was getting the "vibe" I got from the example from Bryan Peterson. His photo said "fresh and cool" to me like it was something from a "Sprite" ad. After watching the tutorial again, I changed my direction into something that would look like it was taken in a studio but was really taken outside. I ended up with a shot of a leaf with light streaming through its veins. My setup included a black backdrop, a sheet of aluminum foil directly underneath the leaf and a large sun reflector for my car's windshield to the side. I also had a small plate wrapped in foil that my five year old held to reflect sunlight onto the leaf. I really like how the sun illuminated the jagged edges of the leaf.

No comments: