Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Night Photography Class 5: Manhattan Beach Pier

So I feel like it has been months since the last class. After a week off (planned - ski week) and another week off (unplanned - weather), we finally had another class. This week we met at the Manhattan Beach Pier which is very different to its Redondo Beach counterpart. This pier is very simple with only one building on it (an aquarium that was closed during our class), a few benches, a number of pedestrians (though much fewer than in Redondo), and many lampposts. These lamps became my primary focus of the night. To switch things up, I tried shooting in black & white and was pleased with the results. After an unsatisfactory "light writing" attempt, I shifted my attention back to the pier. I tried to capture the shuffle of people that walked up and down the pier. Additionally, I took many shots of a large bank of clouds that rolled into Redondo and Hermosa Beach. The city lights illuminating the clouds created an eerie scene, reminiscent of "Close Encounters of the Third Kind." Not a super-exciting night but I did create some decent photos. Below are some of my better shots:
Manhattan Beach Pier
2 second exposure, f/13, 50mm, ISO 400 Night railing
10 second exposure, f/22, 50mm, ISO 100 South Bay at night
2 second exposure, f/3.5, 18mm, ISO 200 Pier people
10 second exposure, f/13, 50mm, ISO 100 Illuminated fog
20 second exposure, f/11, 50mm, ISO 400 Viewfinder
20 second exposure, f/11, 50mm, ISO 400 Pier
8 second exposure, f/16, 50mm, ISO 400

No comments: